The Select-Flow Valve™ from ARK Therapeutic makes drinking easier for beginners and/or individuals with oral motor difficulties. The valve is uniquely designed to control the direction of fluid – liquid flows up into the straw but does not flow back down. As the fluid stays at the top of the straw, each subsequent sip requires less and less effort. The valve also assists in reducing the amount of air that is ingested, which can assist individuals who experience coughing and choking while consuming fluids.
The Select-Flow Valve™ is ideal for individuals who tend to aspirate, or who have difficulties generating and maintaining suction. To use, simply push the tapered end of the valve into the bottom of a straw, and you’re ready to go!
For individuals who tend to take too much fluid at a time, the Select-Flow Valve™ packs also slow the flow of fluid, allowing for smaller, more manageable sips that lower the risk of coughing/choking. If a restricted flow is not necessary, simply trim the tapered end with a pair of scissors to increase the flow.
- No lead, phthalates, PVC, BPA, or latex
- Measures approximately 4.5cm in length
- Sold in a Pack of 3
- Not recommended for carbonated beverages
- Recommended for thin liquids (water, milk, juice without pulp, etc).
- If you’re using thickened liquids, in general for most thickener brands: “nectar” consistency works fine. If you trim the tapered end of the valve to open up the flow, honey will work but will be harder to suck through the straw.
- Fits in the bottom of most standard drinking straws, such as the One Way Straws, measuring 0.65cm in diameter.
- Recommended for use with the Bear Bottle as these cup sets let you “help” fluid up the straw for the initial sip.
- These valves are not quite disposable, but they are not “forever” valves either. They cannot be taken apart for thorough cleaning, so eventually they will need to be replaced with enough use. Flushing the valve immediately after each use with warm soapy water will help prolong the life of the valve.